You are here: HomeNews2015 05 10Article 357542

Regional News of Sunday, 10 May 2015

Source: Daily Guide

Drama over missing Somanya Chief’s body

The police in the Eastern Region and residents of Sra-Somanya on Thursday gathered that the confusion over the missing body of the late chief (Konor) of Somanya in the Yilo Krobo Traditional Area was staged probably to prevent the smooth coronation of the new Konor, Nene Nuer Anobaa Sasraku II.

A team comprising crack investigators and a pathologist embarked on a fact-finding mission to the palace of the Konor at Sra-Somanya, the traditional seat of the Yilo Krobos.

After carefully digging out the grave the team realised that the remains of the late Nene Dawutey Ologo V were intact.

It turned out that the surface of the grave was only disturbed to raise false alarm.

It would be recalled that confusion heightened in the Yilo Krobo Traditional Area among the three royal gates over the election of a new Konor. The situation became even worst when the mortal remains of the late renowned chief was rumoured to have been missing from the royal mausoleum where it was buried six years ago, causing the police to go on a wild chase for the security man of the palace who went into hiding when reports of the missing remains got became public.

Deputy Regional Police Commander ACP James Azuma Abass Abaah, fingered the Ologo family in a grand scheme to divert police attention. In an interview with DAILY GUIDE, he said it took the police a while to organise the exhumation because they needed a court order, a pathologist and money.

It would be called that DAILY GUIDE on April 14, 2015 reported that there was a simmering tension amongst the three royal gates in Somanya in the Yilo Krobo Municipal Area of the Eastern Region over the mortal remains of their past chief. Information gathered by DAILY GUIDE then indicated that the mortal remains of Nene Dawutey Ologo V, who died some six years ago, had been stolen from its resting place.

The event reportedly threw the chiefs and people of the area into a state of confusion, with the Ologo family blaming the police for their involvement.

A source said complaints about the missing remains of Nene Ologo were lodged with the local police at Somanya. The police had secured the museum and are currently offering protection to the new chief who is reported to have been installed amidst drama from the Nuer gate which obtained a court judgement in its favour against the two other gates, Ologo and Akroboto.