You are here: HomeNews2011 06 20Article 211650

General News of Monday, 20 June 2011

Source: GNA

Drama in court as woman collapses while consoling her son

Accra, June 20, GNA - Drama unfolded at a Circuit Court in Accra when a woman believed to be in her 40's collapsed in court while consoling his son who wept uncontrollably in the dock.

The woman was however resuscitated by court clerks and Policemen on duty who offered her a chair to sit for a while.

Her son Emmanuel Ashley Boateng an 18-year-old student, was in the dock for allegedly having sex with a 13-year-old girl. Boateng had earlier denied the charge of defilement and was remanded.

As the victim's mother mounted the witness box to testify, Boateng began to shed tears.

This attracted the attention of the trial judge, Mrs Georgina Mensah-Datsa, who asked him whether he (Boateng) had a relative in the court room or wanted the case to be stood down for him to finish weeping.

As Boateng turned to the crowd, he found none of his relatives present. He then broke down in tears, saying 93Madam I am sorry. Please forgive me. I am in school and have to write my examination."

When the case was stood down after 10 minutes of proceedings, Boateng's mother emerged at the court room and was asked to console his son, the woman also began to weep and collapsed in the process.

The court discontinued with the evidence of the victim's mother and ordered the Police to find out whether Boateng was actually writing an examination.

The case was therefore adjourned to Tuesday, June 21. The case as presented by the prosecutor, Police Inspector I.A.A. Ahor was that on May 18, this year, the victim was passing by when Boateng called her into his kiosk and had sex with her.

The prosecutor said the victim bled as a result of the act, and Boateng warned her not to disclose her ordeal to anyone. However, the following day, the victim's mother noticed that the victim could not walk properly and when she was quizzed, she let 91the cat out of the bag'.

The prosecutor said the victim's mother reported the incident to the Police at Nungua and accused was apprehended.