Death threats: Top government officials pestering me to withdraw complaint - Journalist | General News 2018-02-02
You are here: HomeNews2018 02 02Article 622880

General News of Friday, 2 February 2018

Source: www.ghanaweb.com

Death threats: Top government officials pestering me to withdraw complaint - Journalist

Journalist and Social media activist, Kwakye Afreh-Nuamah has revealed that top government officials are trying to convince him to withdraw a formal complaint he has lodged with the police over threats he received from some NPP members.

The threats came on the heels of the journalist criticising the Sanitation Minister, Kofi Adda for not delivering on his mandate on social media.

An audio recording in possession of GhanaWeb has one party faithful who gave her name has Boya raining insults on the journalist and threatening him in a telephone conversation.

In an interview with GhanaWeb, the journalist revealed he received yet another threat call from popular NPP supporter Hajia Fati on Thursday, 1st February.

He said “Hajia Fati called me today to threaten me that if I dare go to the police station she will come to the TV3 premises and strip me naked… she said she will deal with me in that same measure that the Boya lady has threatened”.

Afreh-Nuamah also mentioned that after lodging the complaint with the police, he has received several calls from top government officials and the sanitation ministry asking him to drop the case.

“I have had calls from some government officials asking me to come for lunch so that we make it a private matter… but anyone who knows me well will tell you that I’m not a person you can engage on that level,” Kwakye noted adding that he will pursue the case to its logical conclusion.

The competence of Kofi Adda has been a subject of public debate, particularly in the last three months, with questions about why many parts of the country remain in filth despite the existence of his ministry.

In fact, a number of social media users, have called for the head of the Navrongo Central MP.

The minister recently described his critics as "ill-informed," indicating that his ministry is not primarily responsible for refuse collection.



He insists that is the sole responsibility of the various MMDAs. In sharp contrast, however, just last week, he sent a team to the Australian high commission just after the high commissioner had tweeted about filth in that area.

That action alone re-ignited calls for President Akufo-Addo to axe him.