You are here: HomeNews2008 02 22Article 139676

General News of Friday, 22 February 2008

Source: GNA

Court orders CJA to reapply properly

Accra, Feb. 22 GNA - An Accra Fast Track High Court on Friday ordered the Committee for Joint Action (CJA) to go back and reapply properly because the substantive motion on which they were seeking an interim injunction against Attorney-General and three television station from using certain video footages of its demonstrations for advertisements had already been struck out for want of prosecution. The Court explained that the fact that the substantive case was struck out last Monday means an order for the interim injunction filed by the CJA against the four respondents had no basis to stand on. The Court presided over by Mr Justice K.A. Ofori-Atta did not take kindly to certain comments attributed to Mr Mahama Ayiriga and some members of the CJA on air concerning the earlier ruling in which the case was struck out.

The judge said he was disappointed about the comments because they were far from the truth and Mr Ayariga could have informed the court about his travel to Bawku.

Mrs. Ama Jantuah Bamful, a Chief State Attorney who represented the Attorney-General on behalf of the respondents, said as far as she was concerned there was no substantive case before the court because the first motion had been struck out.

Mr. Mahama Ayiriga, counsel for the CJA, apologized to the court for the unfortunate comments attributed to him and some members of the CJA on air.

He denied claims by defence counsel that the interim injunction was filed after the substantive case had been struck out. Mr. Ayariga said on February 18 when they had already filed the new application the respondents had not filed any responses. 22 Feb. 08

Join our Newsletter