You are here: HomeNews2018 01 30Article 621969

Crime & Punishment of Tuesday, 30 January 2018


Cop on admission after Kporju residents attack Police

File Photo File Photo

Residents of Kporju, a small village in Sawla/Tuna/Kalba district in Northern Region attacked three local police officers in the early hours of Monday, 29 January, 2017, leaving one hospitalized.

A local journalist, Joseph Wereh told Starr News the officers were assaulted by the townspeople when they entered the community at about 5:30am to arrest a suspected thief who had turned down police invitations and severally evaded arrest.

The suspect only known as Guohin was accused of stealing nine cattle belonging to a farmer identified as Torh Vuur, a month ago.

After admitting to the crime, he reportedly persuade the farmer not to report the case, Wereh said, adding the farmer disregarded the pleas and filed a complaint at Sawla police station.

The officers were then deployed to arrest the suspect who had failed to cooperate with investigators but got attacked and “beaten” by the villagers.

The villagers were angered by warning shots fired by the police when the suspect resisting arrest attacked their colleague.

“They went to the guy’s house asked him to come out and he refused to come out so one of the police officers entered into the guy’s room and two armed men were outside. What they realised was that the other policeman was shouting for help, so they gave a warning shots and the whole community came and they beat them mercilessly”, Joseph reported.

The complainant who accompanied the officers to the village was also attacked and sustained head injury in the arrest attempt.

The two officers managed to reach their vehicle with the two injured others and fled directly to the Sawla polyclinic where the complainant was treated and discharged but the officer still admitted.

Joseph said the District Police chief commander confirmed the attacks.

Three weeks ago, a team of police from Tamale was attacked by youth of Gbulahagu when they entered to rescue an alleged witch who was nearly lynched.

The attackers mounted roadblocks, disconnected electricity power before opening fire on the police.

No arrest has been reported.