You are here: HomeNews2019 05 02Article 743024

General News of Thursday, 2 May 2019

Source: Mynewsgh.com

Calls for prosecution of Rockson Bukari ugly noise - Nana Obiri Boahen

Calls for the prosecution of Mr. Rockson Ayine Bukari a former Minister of State at the Presidency, who resigned on his own accord earlier this week after allegations of attempting to bribe a journalist to “kill” a story against the Shaanxi Mining Company and other individuals will be useless, Lawyer Nana Obiri Boahen has said.

“The law does not strife on unnecessary speculation…The law strives on evidential proof and therefore to say that he has resigned is enough evidence to take him to court is for me not understandable”, the Deputy General Secretary of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) observed..

According to Nana Obiri Boahen who spoke on Kumasi-based Nhyira FM monitored by MyNewsGh.com, the fact that he has resigned does not mean he is guilty of corruption and could be prosecuted for same offence.

The former Upper East Regional Minister resigned on Monday, April 29, 2019, after a tape leaked implicating him in a move to prevent a Starr FM journalist Edward Adeti from publishing a story against a judge and a Chinese mining company, Shaanxi Mining Company late in 2018.

He promised financial inducement and other gifts from Shaanxi once the journalist drops the story.

The Citizens Movement Against Corruption has called for the prosecution of a former minister of state Rockson Bukari for “obstructing justice.”

Speaking in an interview with Morning Starr host Francis Abban, the co-chair of the movement Edem Senanu said government must show interest in Mr. Bukari’s case of bribery and prosecute him.

“Rockson’s resignation shouldn’t be the end of the story. Further investigation is required. This is a case where we have a public officer interfering with the work of the justice system. There is a need for investigation and prosecution,” Mr. Senanu stressed