You are here: HomeNews2018 02 22Article 628378

General News of Thursday, 22 February 2018

Source: My News GH

Blame KIA , Employment Minister for 500 stranded Ghanaians in the UAE - Isaac Osae

A Ghanaian based in the United Arab Emirate (UAE) ,Mr. Isaac Osae is accusing the Minister of Employment and Labour Relations Hon. Ignatius Baffour Awuah and officials of Kotoka International Airport (KIA) for being responsible for the 500 Ghanaians stranded in the Gulf region.

According to claims by Mr. Isaac Osae who spoke to mynewsgh.com from his base, he had earlier hinted that an envoy from the UAE was in Ghana to hold meetings with some recruitment agencies in order to fly some youth to the gulf after the government revealed it had ban travels of its citizens to the area.

He urged the Government to be vigilant on the issue and also conduct investigations in order to curb the recurring situation and accused the sector Minister of failing on his part by not being able to stop them from sending innocent youth to the Gulf who have been left to their fate.

His comments came as a response to a press statement issued by the Information Minister, Mr. Mustapha Abdul Hamid indicating that there are 500 Ghanaians who are stranded in the Gulf Region.

The minister in the statement indicated, “The security agencies are tracking down recruitment agencies and Travel and Tour companies involved in sending young people to the Gulf Region, especially Dubai, under the pretext of engaging them in already secured jobs. Presently, about 500 Ghanaian youth are stranded in Dubai, after they have been left to their fate by recruitment agencies”.

Mr. Osae said that he is highly disappointed in the minister for thwarting the efforts of the NPP led government’s fight against illegal migrants into the region who are being subjected to all forms of molestation and victimization and literally being used as slaves.

Meanwhile, government has indicated that the ban on sending people from the country to the Gulf region is still in force

“We wish to take the opportunity to remind Ghanaians that the ban on exportation of labour from Ghana to the gulf is still in place”. The statement said.

Mr Osae threatened that Ghanaians in the Gulf region are going to demonstrate against the government of the Republic of Ghana should it fail to put things in place to stop the further transportation of its citizens to the country who continue to suffer.

Join our Newsletter