You are here: HomeNews2017 08 21Article 571750

General News of Monday, 21 August 2017

Source: ghanareel.com

Ban on mobile phones in schools to be lifted


Click to read all about coronavirus →

Government is considering lifting the ban on mobile in second cycle schools a deputy minister of education has said.

Ghana’s Education Service (GES) banned the use of mobile phones in primary and secondary schools to enable students concentrate more on their studies.

According to the Service, the uncontrolled use of mobile phones by the students has had a negative impact on their education, since they waste valuable time on social media platforms.

But Deputy Minister of Education, Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum has said government is considering uplifting the ban to ensure an effective and efficient teaching of ICT. He noted some communities do not have access to computers but students in such areas have access to mobile phones and internet connectivity hence the need to take advantage of those gadgets.

‘Where students don’t have access to computers and they happen to have access to phones and internet connectivity. It will make sense for teachers to explore. And say this website is on your phone and teachers can teach ICT and put assignments on the internet. We need to look at the situation and say are we looking at the 21st century.’ he said

He said the absence of internet connectivity in many second cycle schools had been a major setback to both ICT tutors and their students completing the curriculum on time, a frustration that undermined the academic performance of the students.

Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter