General News of Wednesday, 9 July 2003
Source: THE INSIGHT
The Minister of Regional Integration and NEPAD, Dr Kofi Konadu Apraku is counter punching the allegation that he diverted funds from the Ghana Free Zones Board to establish an office for his future presidential campaign. He has denied the allegation and claimed that it was deliberately planted by persons who have an agenda to dent his credibility.
“All I have is my personal integrity and that is exactly what they are determined to destroy”, he told the Insight newspaper in an interview. According to Dr Apraku, he, ordered an investigation into the finances of the Free Zones Board and is therefore surprised that the process is now being used against him. “If I had done something wrong, would I have ordered investigations into my own wrong doing?”, he asked.
Dr Apraku said he has not received a copy of the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) report and nobody seems to know that there is any such report. “I am sure that even the Attorney General has not received the report of the SFO. As the Minister who ordered the investigation, if there was any report it should have been sent to me, but I have not received any report”, he noted.
The Evening News newspaper has persistently published stories about the diversion of funds of the Free Zones Board for the establishment of Dr Apraku’s campaign office at Dzorwulu in Accra. The SFO has so far not confirmed or denied the allegation that it has a report implicating Dr Apraku in any deal.