You are here: HomeNews2015 10 28Article 390449

Crime & Punishment of Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Source: Daily Guide

Adams suspect arrested

File photo File photo

The Police in Accra have arrested Issah Musah, one of the two accused persons standing trial over the murder of Adams Mahama, the Upper East Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP).

Issah, a driver, was picked up yesterday by plain-clothed police personnel seconds after he had stepped out of the Central Magistrate Court in Accra where he and Gregory Afoko, brother of NPP national chairman Paul Afoko, are being tried over the death of Adams.

He was expected to assist the police in unraveling the circumstances surrounding the attempted kidnapping and assault of one Muazu Issaka, a brother of the late Adams, after an earlier altercation at the court.

It may be recalled that a group of persons numbering over 15, consisting of six able-bodied men and three ladies, including Issah – on October 13, this year, reportedly attempted to bundle Muazu into a saloon car.

According to sources, the group tried to seize the two mobile phones of Muazu but some security personnel at a nearby car park rescued the victim from the hands of his attackers.

They further stated that the group warned Muazu to tell his family members to be ready because they would wipe off the entire family.

Muazu accordingly reported the incident at the ministries police station, leading to the arrest of Issah yesterday.

Earlier at the murder trial in the court presided over by Worlanyo Kotoku, the prosecution, led by ASP Stephen Adjei, said one of the sureties for Issah had withdrawn.

He explained that the said surety, Lamisi Akpana, was traveling to Canada and would be replaced by one Sharatu Issah, indicating that what was left was for the investigator and the registrar of the court to liaise and see if the surety was suitable.

ASP Adjei, who was holding brief for Supt Francis Baah, further told the court that the prosecution was waiting for the Attorney-General’s (AG’s) advice.

He said the docket was receiving the necessary attention at the AG’s office because the AG was aware of the seriousness of the case.

The senior police officer indicated that the prosecution was not relaxing in that regard and that the police wanted a longer adjournment to enable them have something tangible to tell the court in respect of the advice.

Nana Asaa Bonful, representing Gregory, the 53-year-old farmer, said he had been asked to take an adjournment.

The trial magistrate however, said he would not adjourn hearing for more than two weeks because one of the accused persons was in custody.

Sitting continues November 10.

Gregory and Issah are being tried for intentionally and unlawfully causing the death of Adams on May 20, 2015 at Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region.

According to the police, Issah, who is a member of the NPP, on 19 May, 2015, solicited and procured the deadly acid which he gave to other two suspects who in turn poured the acid on Adams.

Asabke Alangdi, the third accused, has been on the run together with his wife, leaving behind their one-and-a-half-year-old baby.

Gregory is facing charges of conspiracy and murder while Musah is being tried for abetment.

The plea of the two has not been taken.

According to the police charge sheet, Gregory, after his arrest, was asked to lead the police to the house of his accomplice – Asabke Alangdi – but “he rather took them to the father’s house. Police later located the house of the second but the suspect had got wind of their presence and absconded with his wife, leaving behind their baby.

“A gallon, which contains some of the substance and a plastic cup, were retrieved at the scene for forensic examination,” the charge sheet added. The police have revealed that a “post-mortem examination was conducted on the body of the deceased and the pathologist gave the cause of the death as shock lungs and extensive acid burns.”

Join our Newsletter