You are here: HomeNews2011 06 30Article 212507

General News of Thursday, 30 June 2011

Source: The Chronicle

3 arrested for threatening Chief Justice

The Police have arrested three suspects in connection with the recent threats on the Chief Justice (CJ), Her Ladyship Mrs. Justice Georgina Theodora Wood.

The arrest came barely 24 hours after the police launched investigations into the case. The suspects are Rudolf Rasik Awankua, 29, Spokesperson of the Network for Social Democrats (NESOD), Iddisah Yeboah Seidu, 30, and George Kwaku Dzeto, 31.

The suspects were charged for threats of death on the Chief Justice. The three suspects, according to the Public Relations Office of the Acca regional Police Command, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Cyprian Zenge, were arrested when they reported themselves at the police station on Tuesday June 28, 2011, to clear themselves over the threats against the Chief justice.

The NESOD, on Thursday June 23, 2011, held a press conference where threats were issued to the Chief Justice Mrs. Georgina Theodora Wood to resign her post. Their pronouncement was immediately responded to by the CJ, who reported the matter to the police.

The Accra Regional Police Command quickly launched investigations into the matter by setting up a high powered investigative team, led by the Regional Police commander Rose Bio Atinga.

Other members of the team included ACP Christian Tetteh Yohuno, Deputy Regional Police Commander, Superintendent Emmanuel Frank Adufati, Regional Crime Officer, DSP Eric Asamoah Esiedu, Staff Officer to the Regional Commander and Chief Inspector Kwaku Dompreh of the Public affairs Unit.

According to ASP Zenge, the spokesperson of the NESOD, Rudolf Rasik Awankua, claimed the group meant no harm, but would try to take appropriate and legal processes to impeach the CJ, if she fails to resign.

ASP Zenge said although the suspects had been bailed, the case was still pending at the court and would continue to hunt for the rest of the members of NESOD. Further investigations into the matter, he added, was still ongoing.