The National Chairman of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Asiedu Nketiah, has appeared to challenge a statement by the Minister for the Interior, Muntaka Mohammed-Mubarak, regarding election-related violence in the Awutu Senya East Constituency during the 2024 general elections.
The Interior Minister had indicated that investigations into the matter showed that the Member of Parliament for Awutu Senya East, Phyllis Naa Koryoo Okunor, was not attacked by the former MP for the area, Mavis Hawa Koomson, as had been alleged.
Speaking during a recent Thank You Tour in the constituency, Asiedu Nketiah, without mentioning the minister by name, dismissed claims that there was no evidence of the alleged attack.
He stressed that no individual should be shielded from accountability if found guilty of wrongdoing.
“Someone has issued a statement saying that he has not gotten any evidence of what happened in Kasoa. We are not children. We are not children in this party.
“If we have all accepted that violence is not good and must be stopped, then we must all work towards that. This attitude of ‘this is my friend, this is my brother, let us cover for him’ will no longer work,” he said.
The NDC National Chairman further asserted that all persons are equal before the law and must face the full rigours of justice if found guilty of a crime.
He added that he would push for the matter of violence in Awutu Senya to be addressed by the government.
“As for me, I am very serious about this issue. We are not going to let it slide,” he stated.
Confusion as interior minister contradicts Awutu Senya East MP’s claim on election violence
What Muntaka said.
Muntaka Mohammed-Mubarak, on November 4, 2025, during a briefing, disclosed that Phyllis Naa Koryoo Okunor had denied any knowledge of the violence that marred her election, an incident that left one person dead.
“Honourable Phyllis Naa Koryoo Okunor denied that her convoy was attacked. She was nowhere near the scene of the incident.
“Persons involved in the incident have avoided speaking with the Task Force, while Mohammed Ali and others who were in the Mahindra pickup truck and fired shots from their vehicle have also refused to cooperate. Their accounts have, therefore, not been established. Mohammed Ali is said to have been flown abroad for further treatment.
“The late Yusif Larri Idriss died from a gunshot wound and those who were in the Mahindra pickup with him know what happened. The driver of the Mahindra has been traced and further investigations are ongoing. The Task Force will continue its investigations,” he stated.
What Naa Koryoo said.
In the interview on Onua TV on December 8, 2024, Naa Koryoo stated that she and her team were attacked while visiting polling centres.
Awutu Senya East MP leads community dredging of Okrudu River in Kasoa
“After visiting the polling stations, I saw a V8 vehicle chasing our cars. They shot into our vehicles and two of my people were hit,” she recounted.
She further alleged that her opponents were behind the attack.
“I want to say that I have won the election and Mavis Hawa Koomson is doing things again. She has brought back that Simon, who is a murderer, he killed someone in my house…the bullet hit my official Mahindra pickup and the people sitting at the back were struck,” she claimed.
BAI/MA
Why Ken Agyapong won overwhelmingly in Effutu – Afenyo-Markin explains
One of the prophets who accurately predicted Dr Mahamudu Bawumia's NPP flagbearer win had a sit down with GhanaWeb. Watch it below:









