Entertainment of Thursday, 7 February 2013

Source: Daily Guide

Deeba lawyer fails to show up again

Akyeampong Deeba aka Richard Nimoh, the popular hiplife musician, who has been accused of defiling his 8-year-old stepdaughter, would probably have to seek legal aid.

The issue of him seeking legal aid became relevant when his lawyer, for the second time, failed to turn up to defend him in his extradition proceeding.

When the case was called yesterday at the Osu Magistrate Court, the trial judge Aboagye Tandoh, asked Deeba where his lawyer was and he replied that he did not show up.

His younger brother later explained to the court that the lawyer's absence was due to the fact that he had not been paid his legal fee.

The brother indicated that they had now gotten the amount the lawyer requested for and would get in-touch with him.

Owusu Ameyaw, a state attorney, suggested that the accused should seek legal aid if getting a lawyer was a problem for him.

This was after the state attorney had informed the court that Mrs. Yvonne Obuobisa, the substantive prosecutor was indisposed and was therefore in court to seek adjournment.

The trial judge however observed that it was not easy to get legal aid as well since he would still need to show some commitment of paying certain money though that would be lesser than the actual fees.

He advised Deeba to use the indisposition of the prosecutor to engage the services of a lawyer, as his case was serious.

Mr. Tandoh stated that he would not take any excuse from the prosecution or the defence as he was prepared to proceed with the matter.

On the last adjourned date, the, prosecution led by Mrs. Obuobisa started the extradition process to have Deeba sent back to United Kingdom, where he allegedly committed the crime, to face trial.

The prosecution was yet to present exhibits and evidence including video interview and transcripts which linked Deeba to the crime.

He has been charged with six counts of defilement and causing harm but Deeba has denied the offence.

The accused was arrested based on a warrant from Interpol London.

The prosecution case was that Deeba, between 2004 and 2008, lived in UK and had a relationship with a Ghanaian woman who already had two daughters aged eight and six.

The couple later had two other children of their own.

According to prosecution, the couple lived separately for the few months of their relationship but the accused always visited the lady's home to take care of the children when she went for night duties at her work place.

Later Deeba reportedly joined his partner and they, lived together until September 2008 when he returned to Ghana to pursue his music career.

Two weeks after his departure, his 8-year-old stepdaughter allegedly disclosed to her mom that while she was out of the house, Deeba on several occasions called her into his bedroom and made her watch pornographic films after which he lay her down on the bed, kissed her mouth, applied baby oil on his manhood and had sexual intercourse with her.

The victim, according to the facts, reported that on some occasions, he had anal sex with her.

The prosecution said Deeba threatened to beat her if she disclosed the act to anyone.

Between June 1 and 4, 2008, Deeba allegedly assaulted the victim's six -old girl when she tried to satisfy her curiosity about what was happening to her elder sister. This led to a cut on her head.

A medical examination conducted on the victim by forensic physician, according to the prosecutor, revealed extensive damage to her hymen as a result of vaginal penetration.