You are here: HomeNewsElections 20082016 01 18Article 408628

Politics of Monday, 18 January 2016

Source: tv3network.com

I have no opinion on ex-Gitmo detainees - Dr. Nduom

Businessman-cum-politician, Dr. Papa Kwesi Nduom says he has no standpoint on the resettlement of two ex-Guantanamo Bay detainees in the country but has asked Ghanaians to be measured in their discourse on the issue.

According to him, he has not receive any briefing from government on the issue to enable him make an informed decision as to his view on Ghana's decision to accept the two ex-detainees which has since January 6 sparked public outrage and condemnation.

Speaking at a press conference Monday morning, Dr. Nduom warned against the seeming religious twist being given to the issue, noting it could have serious implications on the country if not nib in the bud.

TV3's Komla Klutse, who is at the press conference quoted Dr Nduom as saying "Ghana needs unity and a sense of purpose".

Dr. Nduom who is the founder of the Progressive People's Party, also said government officials should desist from waging war on people who have divergent view with them regarding the matter which has grabbed international headlines in the last week.

He said the president's men and women must not make him naked, noting he disagrees with Foreign Minister and the Interior Minister's stands, saying "they should stand by him or resign".

The two ex-detainees - Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammad Salih Al-Dhuby - were relocated to Ghana on January 6 after a deal between Ghana and the US governments.

Many Ghanaians including security experts have questioned the government’s decision to host the ex-detainees who were held without charges and trial for 14 years. Some critics have raised a number of pertinent questions most of which are yet to be addressed by the government.

But at a special media chat on Tuesday, President Mahama denied claims that the government has taken money from the US government to arrive at such a crucial decision.

“There’s no monetary consideration and the US itself would have disclosed if there were any monetary consideration,” Mr Mahama told journalists, adding “It was a direct request from the US to my government. We have been allies to the US for a year, it didn’t start today…”

Send your news stories to and features to . Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter