You are here: Home2020 03 03Article 884314

Africa News of Tuesday, 3 March 2020

Source: bbc.com

Last Ebola patient in Congo leaves treatment centre


Click to read all about coronavirus →

The last Ebola patient in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) has been discharged from a treatment centre in the eastern city of Beni, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

More than 2,300 people have been killed since the outbreak began in DR Congo in 2018.

WHO's Regional Director for Africa tweeted that there were currently no cases of Ebola in the country, and she was "cautiously optimistic" that the outbreak would be brought to an end soon.

WHO head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said no new infections had been reported in the last two weeks.

"This is very encouraging, but the outbreak is not over and we are still in full response mode," he added.

DR Congo would have to go for 42 days without reporting a case for the outbreak to be declared over.



Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter