You are here: HomeSports2017 11 14Article 600327

Boxing News of Tuesday, 14 November 2017

Source: todaygh.com

WBO demands $500,000 for Dogboe, Caesar bout

World Boxing Organisation (WBO) is demanding a staggering $500,000 from Team Dogboe and Rising Star Africa Promotions before staging the WBO interim world title fight against Cesar Juarez in Ghana after winning the purse bid of $117,000.

The WBO in a convention in Cuba last week sanctioned the body mandated Isaac Dogboe and Cesar Juarez to fight for the interim world title due to an injury to the WBO super bantamweight champion Jesse Magdaleno but it will certainly come at very high cost for the Ghanaian.

Reigning champion, Jessie Magdaleno, was forced to drop out of his November fight with #1 contender Cesar Juarez, and his medical notification indicated he would not be available to fight until March or April.

This opened up a fight between Juarez and the next available contender, which according to the rankings was Filipino Marlon Tapales. But Tapales announced he was not available to fight as soon as needed to fight for a vacant interim title due to problems he was having with his trainer.

However, the available boxer to face Juarez was Dogboe and the Ghanaian accepted to take on the Mexican.

After winning the purse bid, father and trainer of Isaac Dogboe, Paul Dogboe said his outfit will need $500,000 before staging the fight in Ghana.

“We now have the right to stage the interim world title fight in Ghana, it is something that we have been looking for, Financial wise it won’t be easy to stage that fight, roughly we need $500,000 to do the show, that is a lot of money.” He said.

“Big dignitaries from the WBO will be coming down to watch that fight so we have to make them feel at home, so we need that money to stage the fight in Ghana.”

Send your news stories to and features to . Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter