You are here: HomeSports2013 07 24Article 280385

Soccer News of Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Source: GNA

Chelsea confirm Champions League participation

Berekum Chelsea have confirmed participation in the next Confederation of African Football (CAF) Champions League following Ghana’s additional slot for the competition.

Nana Oduro Sarfo, General Manager of Berekum Chelsea, told GNA Sports, the club found the news to participate in the tournament they started as debutants last year, welcoming and desperate to grab with both hands.

“We have agreed to grab the opportunity and hoping to represent Ghana with the aim of achieving better results at a second attempt.”

Chelsea’s impressive debut outing last year was the catalyst for the re-entry into the top ranked teams.

The Berekum side narrowly missed out on a place at the semis at the first attempt at the highest level of African club football despite being in a tough group alongside former winners’ Al-Ahly and Zamalek (both of Egypt) and TP Mazembe (DR Congo).

Sarfo said “playing in Africa means a lot to the club and the players alike. Apart from the opportunity of winning laurels, the players understand that it was through such moments that the likes of Emmanuel Clottey and Solomon Asante secured contracts outside Ghana”.

He said the club had set their sight on going a step further in the competition at a second attempt. Berekum Chelsea came second in the just-ended Premiership behind Kotoko.

Last Monday, Ghana regained her four slots for the continental club championships effective next year.

The decision came after the Ghana Football Association (GFA) recaptured its place amongst the 12-best nations according to the rankings of the continental soccer governing body, CAF.

This will be the first time since 2006 that Ghana will be parading two teams in both competitions.

Send your news stories to and features to . Chat with us via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter