Feature Article of Monday, 13 August 2012
Columnist: Adutwum, Owura Kwaku
Pardon me to break Amanmer3 (Traditional Customs) regarding this topic.
One big reason for the national pride of Ghanaians is the fact that we are all guided by hundreds of unwritten golden customary rules that shape and govern our society in a unique way. I love all of these rules and uphold each one of them dearly in high esteem, and believe most Ghanaians feel the same way.
Here are a few interesting ones that I would like to highlight:
1. “WE DO NOT SAY BAD THINGS ABOUT ANY DEPARTED PERSON”
2. “YOU ARE GUILTY BY DEFAULT AND MUST APOLOGIZE, IF YOU HAVE GRUDGE WITH AN ELDERLY OR PERSON IN AUTHORYITY BECAUSE PANINN Y3 PANIN”
And President Atta Mills may have added a few more …. 3. “WE DO NOT ENGAGE IN POLITICS OF INSULT, AND SLANDER”
4. “WE DO NOT CRITICIZE THE ADMINSTRATION OF A SITTING GOVERNMENT ELSE IT WOULD BE PERCIEVED AS INSULT AND SO ALL CRITISMS MUST BE IGNORED”
5. “WE DO NOT CONSIDER INSULTS FROM GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AS INSULTS BUT AS STATEMENTS AND AS A RESULT THEY MUST REMAIN AT POST”
6. “WE MUST CONSIDER ANY STATEMENT OR CRITIZM FROM OPPOSITION PARTIES OR FROM THE PUBLIC AS INSULTS AND MUST BE CONDEMNED”
7. “WE DO NOT DISCLOSE SICKNESS OR INCAPCITATION NOR ADMIT WEAKNESSES … ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS AFFECTING OUR PERFORMANCE AS LEADERS BUT INSTEAD LIE TO COVER IT UP. FOR AS IT IS WRITTEN, HE WHO IS WEAK MUST SAY I AM STRONG”
8. “AS A PRESIDENT YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE ABLE TO READ DOCUMENTS NOR UNDERSTAND THEM THOUGHLY BUT MUST BE ABLE TO SIGN AND APPROVE THEM. IT IS UPTO MY SUBORDINATES TO TWIST MY INSTRUCTIONS ANY HOW THEY WISH, WITHOUT ANY PENALTIES”
9. “WE DO NOT QUESTION OUR GOVERNMENT LEADERSHIP WHEN THEY CHANGE THEIR LEGALLY ASSIGNED DUTIES, FROM ENSURING STATE SECURITY AND SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT ETC , INTO BECOMING RELIGIOUS LEADERS WHO ONLY PRAY FOR PEACE; AND HOPE GOD WILL BLESS THE NATION WITH PROSPERITY WITHOUT MAKING ANY EFFORTS TO CREATE JOBS”
10. “WE DO NOT STAND UP FOR OURSELVES EVEN IF LAW ENFORCEMENT FAILS TO PROTECT US, IF SO YOUWILL BE PICKED UP AND CHARGED WITH TREASON AND TERRORISM”
11. “WE DO NOT ADMIT FALUIRE IN POLICIES BUT INSTEAD DECLARE THEM AS UNPRECEDENTED SUCCESS”
12. “WE DO NOT CONVICT NOR OPENLY CONDEMN OUR FRIENDS WHO STEAL FROM THE NATION’S COFFERS BUT INSTEAD SEND THEM TO TRIAL AND DELAY JUSTICE TILL DEATH DO US APART”
13. “WE SHOULD FIRE WHILSTLE BLOWERS, DISCOURAGE PATROITISM, FEND AGAINST CRITICS OF OUR ADMINISTRATION AND REPLACE THEM WITH CRONISM AND TRIBALISM, EVEN IF VIOLATORS ARE OUR PARTY MEMBERS WHO FOUGHT TO BRING US INTO POWER”
14. “FOR THE SAKE OF PEACE WHEN THE ECONOMY IS FREE FALLING, CEDI IS DEPRECIATING, INFLATION AND UNEMPLOYMENT ARE RISING, AND COST OF LIVING IS UNBEARABLE, WE MUST SAY IT IS A PERIOD OF UNPRESIDENTED ECONOMIC GROWTH – HE WHO IS POOR SHOULD SAY I AM RICH”
15. “OUR LEADERS DO NOT LIE, ARE NOT ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS AND THEY DO NOT OWE ANYBODY ANYTHING. THEY CAN NOT BE QUERIED ON ANY DECISION BECAUSE THEY ARE EMPOWERED BY GOD THROUGH DIVINE INTERVENTION AND ARE GODS”
Our sitting President died and it is sad and we have mourned him gracefully in unity. It will be improper for anyone in Ghana to be unsympathetic for any death occurrence.
With all these newly added cultural values by our government in power, I am confused and stunned at all the praises being sang to Fentemfrem Omini Osono Prof J. E. Atta Mills a.k.a, Asomdwae hene a.k.a Asem baako aa Ohow me.
These new values were carried through Prof’s entire rule right up until the time of his passing, when he was apparently taken to the place of births instead of the place for the dead (or the dying) at the 37 military hospital. Is this the kind of legacy and values that we want to write in our history for other future leaders to follow? Values that call black white and white as black?
It is to this end that I ask the question, are Ghanaians, out of shock and confusion mixing up performance, character, truth, and sympathy as we remember our dear late President in the face of an upcoming election?
I have sought the Legacy being spoken about during this period of mourning and I am still searching all over Ghana for the Peace Legacy accompanied by its Unprecedented Achievements by our late President but I have seen very little. I see lots of tears, unity and a depressed gloomy outlook throughout the nation. I do not see peace yet, but maybe peace will come after 40 days just about the same period the Holy Spirit was promised to us around 32 A.D. and it surely did come on Pentecost.
“Open your eyes wider and you will see the Unprecedented Development Projects under NDC’s Better Ghana Agenda and governance. ” -- Late Prof. John Evans Atta Mills
Do you see the “Legacy” being propagated here? Is this Reality or Magic?
Unprecedented Indeed!!! May God help us all.
Owura Kwaku Adutwum
August 12, 2012