This blog is managed by the content creator and not GhanaWeb, its affiliates, or employees. Advertising on this blog requires a minimum of GH₵50 a week. Contact the blog owner with any queries.

Burna Blogs Blog of Sunday, 5 April 2026

Source: ENOCH ATO NYAMSON

I’m unaware of any extradition request against my client - Ofori-Atta's lawyer

Comments (0)

  • Share:
  • WhatsApp
  • Twitter

Frank Davies, a lawyer for former Finance Minister Ken Ofori Atta has said he has no knowledge regarding extradition proceedings against his client.

According to him, there has been no communication from counterparts in the United States concerning any extradition request or related legal process.

Frank Davies further noted that he is unaware of Ofori-Atta's visa revocation.

“I don’t know about the extradition request or proceedings going on. I do not have any education on that. Our counterparts in America have not told us anything about any extradition request or proceedings ongoing,” he said.

He also cast doubt on claims that his client’s visa had been revoked, noting that such assertions had been made by the Attorney-General, Dr. Dominic Ayine without supporting evidence.

“I don’t know whether his visa was revoked. It is the Attorney-General who is saying that. The burden is on him, not me,” he added.

The lawyer clarified that, to his knowledge, his client had only applied for an adjustment of immigration status, and insisted that any claims beyond that must be substantiated by authorities who made those claims.

The Minister for Justice and Attorney General, Dr Dominic Ayine announced in December 2025 that his office has formally transmitted a request for the extradition of former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta and an alleged accomplice, Ernest Akore, from the United States.

Dr Ayine made the disclosure while speaking at the government’s Accountability Series held on Thursday, December 18, 2025.

According to him, the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP) initiated the process on November 19, 2025, when it submitted a request for the commencement of extradition proceedings against the two individuals.

According to the Attorney General, this is a major step in the ongoing investigation of the former finance minister in his alleged involvement in causing financial loss in the Strategic Mobilisation Limited (SML).

Also, earlier in January, Deputy Attorney-General Justice Srem Sai said the US visa of former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta was revoked in June 2025 contrary to the report that the visa had expired.

He noted this was the authentic information the A-G's office received.

"ICE will not come for you unless you have visa issues, that is what has happened, he said on the KeyPoints on TV3 Saturday, January 10.

However, Frank Davies, a lawyer for former Finance Minister has denied knowledge of any of these claims.