You are here: HomeNewsRegions2016 06 21Article 449424

Regional News of Tuesday, 21 June 2016

Source: Graphic.com.gh

Work on LEAP Headquarters building progresses

Work on the construction of a GHC1million head office of the Livelihood Empowerment Against Poverty (LEAP) Ghana is scheduled to be completed in September, this year.

So far, 70 percent work has been completed with the remaining 30 per cent expected to be finished in the next three months.

When completed, the head office would have offices for LEAP directors, assistant directors, accountants and rooms for all the 44 staff of LEAP to work together to ensure the efficient execution of the LEAP programme.

The project is being funded by the World Bank.

Interacting with the media after a visit to the construction site in Accra yesterday, the Deputy Minister of Gender, Children and Social Protection, Mrs Dela Sowah, said the new office would address some of the challenges hindering the efficient execution of the LEAP programme.

“Most of the staff are in different locations and this has made it difficult for them to work. Once the building is completed, this problem will be a thing of the past,” she said.

LEAP is one of the government’s social intervention programmes designed to help needy households and the vulnerable to achieve social integration in all the country’s districts.

The main aim of the programme is to alleviate short-term poverty and encourage long-term human capital development.

It was launched in 2008 as Ghana’s flagship programme for the National Social Protection Strategy.

Access to information easier

Mrs Sowah said the construction of the new LEAP Ghana office would also make access to information easier, adding that “there will be an in-house technology that has the capacity to monitor the entire programme nationwide.”

She said efforts were being made to ensure that the LEAP programme received all the support since its impact had been massive.

Mrs Sowah, therefore, commended the contractors working on the new office building for the effort they were making to complete the work ahead of schedule.