You are here: HomeNewsRegions2019 04 16Article 739063

General News of Tuesday, 16 April 2019

Source: citinewsroom.com

Videos of alleged malpractices in referendum not real – EC

The Electoral Commission (EC) has denied any wrongdoing by its officers who were engaged during the referendum for the newly created regions.

According to the EC, videos that went viral on social media alleging electoral malpractices by its officers are “not real.”

At a media encounter on Tuesday, the Deputy Director in charge of Operations at the EC, Samuel Tetteh, said the purported EC officer captured in a video thumb printing multiple ballot cannot be confirmed to be an official of the Commission.

He therefore believes that the said video has been tampered with to create a negative impression.

“After analyzing the leaked videos, we conducted the necessary investigations. Our conclusion is that, the videos are not real; the videos circulated on social media have crucial questions for consideration. This is informed by the following reasons: since we didn’t issue ID cards to temporary staff we engaged in the referendum.”

“All the election officers were given official jacket at the [polling station just before the commencement of the voting and were collected immediately after the election. The commission insisted that the jackets were worn for security and identification reason. All the coordinators have confirmed that this directive was strictly adhered.”

Videos of some persons allegedly thumb-printing multiple ballots papers went viral on social media, with many suggesting that the act took place during the referendum held weeks ago.

The Commission indicated that it would contact its regional officers and the security agencies to verify the authenticity or otherwise of the videos.

Although CODEO in a statement said its 50 observers cannot attest to seeing such malpractices, it asked the EC to investigate the issue.

The opposition National Democratic Congress ( NDC) had been mounting pressure on the EC for updates on the investigation into alleged malpractices recorded during the referenda on the creation of six new regions.

Nana Addo commends EC for holding ‘free and fair referenda’



President Nana Akufo – Addo commended the new leadership of the Electoral Commission for holding a “free, fair and transparent” referenda in the wake of the agitations.

The President also commended the security agencies, the media and the Justice Brobbey Commission for their respective roles towards the success of the exercise.

“The will of the people determined the outcome of Thursday’s referenda, and I congratulate the people in the soon to be created regions of Ahafo, Bono East, North East, Oti, Savannah and Western North for the dignified, peaceful manner in which they exercised their franchise and constitutional right.

Staff who engaged in referendum malpractices won’t be spared – EC

The Electoral Commission (EC) has said it will not shield any staff found culpable in alleged malpractices during the referendum.

“The Electoral Commission will not shield any staff, permanent or temporary who is found to have violated the law. As an institution that has fairness, transparency and integrity as a hallmark of its operations, we are focused on ensuring that the will of the people I upheld at all times.”