You are here: HomeNewsRegions2018 11 12Article 699960

General News of Monday, 12 November 2018


Fix our footbridges now! - Madina-Adenta residents hit the streets

The Madina-Adenta residents are protesting against the abandoning of footbridges on their road

Residents of Adenta and Madina in the Greater Accra region have staged a protest to register their frustration over the abandoning of some six uncompleted footbridges on the Madina-Adenta highway.

The protest, being spearheaded by Coalition fixourfootbridgesnow, according to residents is to compel government to fix the footbridges as soon as possible to avert the rampant knockdown of pedestrians by speeding vehicles.

According to residents, over 190 deaths have been recorded from January 2018 to early November this year.

The worried and furious residents have bemoaned how the government has turned a blind eye and deaf ear to their plight.

On the 8th of November 2018, a first year female student of the West Africa Senior High School (WASS) was killed by a speeding vehicle in an attempt to cross the road on the Madina-Adentan Highway.

Her death triggered fresh outrage, sparking a spontaneous protest on the highway by residents in the area.

The residents blocked the highway as part of the protest, burning tyres and making it impossible for vehicles to move.

Prior to Thursday’s incidence, a young lady was killed in a similar way Friday night by a car on the Adentan stretch of the Madina-Adentan-Aburi highway.
Ataa as she was popularly referred to, according to residents, was crossing the highway with the boyfriend at the area near the SDA Intersection when the vehicle knocked her down at about 8pm.

Passers-by claim that another speeding vehicle run over her when she fell upon the first impact.

A middle-aged woman was also feared dead after a KIA truck knocked her down at Fire Stone on the Madina – Adenta – Aburi Highway earlier this week.

The increasing killings triggered last Thursday’s protest with the protestors blocking the road with burning tyres.

When the police arrived at the scene to restore law and order, the protesters pelted the police with stones and the police responded with the firing of tear gas canisters, rubber bullets, water cannons and also whipped some of the protesters.