You are here: HomeWallOpinionsArticles2017 06 01Article 543316

General News of Thursday, 1 June 2017


Late Capt. Mahama was one of Ghana Army’s finest snipers

The Ghana Army has lost one of its finest Snipers in the late Capt. Maxwell Mahama who met his untimely death after he was lynched in Boase, a mining community in the Upper Denkyira West District of the Central Region on Monday.

He is said to have won an award as the best sniper during his intake’s graduation at the Military Academy and Training School at Teshie in Accra.

This came to light when the Vice President Dr Mahamadu Bawumia called on the late captain’s family at the Burma Camp to express his condolences over their loss.

A sniper is a marksman or qualified specialist who operates alone, in a pair, or with a sniper team to maintain close visual contact with the enemy and shoot enemies from concealed positions or distances exceeding the detection capabilities of enemy personnel.

The late Capt. Maxwell Mahama studied abroad at the University of Leicester where gained a Master’s degree in Security and Risk Management.

He was studying for his second Master’s degree before his untimely death. He also attended the University of Ghana where he gained a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and History.

Before that he had attended the St John’s School in Sekondi-Takoradi in the Western Region for his secondary education. He also attended Akosombo International School.

Captain Maxwell Mahama, who served with the 5 Infantry Battalion (5BN) at Burma Camp, but was a Commander of a Military Detachment in Boase was killed by the inhabitants when he went for jogging Monday morning on suspicion he was an armed robber.

Two women reportedly saw a pistol on him, and because of an armed robbery incident that had happened recently in the area, alarmed by the pistol they found on him called the assemblyman for the area who organized the youth of the town to lynch him.

Captain Maxwell Mahama who was not dressed in military uniform at the time pleaded several times that he was not a criminal, but the angry residents kept hitting him with cement blocks until he died. They then burnt his body.