You are here: HomeWallOpinionsArticles2019 06 17Article 755674

General News of Monday, 17 June 2019

Source: classfmonline.com

Kidnappings: Ghana becoming unsafe – Victor Smith

Ghana is gradually becoming unsafe, a former Ambassador to the United Kingdom, Mr Victor Smith, has said.

His comments follow the recent spate of kidnappings in the country.

Mr Samuel-Udoetuk Willis, a Nigerian who is currently in police custody, is the main suspect in the kidnapping of three girls in Takoradi in the Western Region. A second Nigerian suspect, John Oji, is also on trial for the same crime. The girls have been missing since August 2018.

Three Nigerians and five Ghanaians were also involved in the kidnapping of two Canadians who were rescued last week in Kumasi in the Ashanti Region.

Three Nigerians are also on the run in connection with the kidnapping of a Lebanese diplomat Nabil Makram Basbous, the Consular-General and Head of Mission of Estonia to Ghana at Labone in April this year.

Some Nigerians were also arrested at Kasoa in the Central Region in connection with the kidnapping and killing of a two-year-old Ghanaian boy in that area, also in April.

Additionally, some Nigerian nationals are suspected to be behind the kidnapping of an Indian businessman in Kumasi in April this year.

Just on Sunday, 16 June 2019, another Nigerian suspect was arrested at Mamobi in Accra for trying to kidnap a four-year-old Ghanaian boy.

Speaking about the kidnappings, Mr Smith, also a former spokesperson for former President Jerry John Rawlings said on the Ghana Yensom show on Accra100.5FM hosted by Kwabena Prah Jnr (The Don) on Monday, 17 June 2019 that: “Ghana is gradually becoming an insecure state.”