You are here: HomeWallOpinionsArticles2017 12 05Article 606815

General News of Tuesday, 5 December 2017


‘Fear, panic’ in Kumasi as another KUMACA student dies

Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah has summoned a crisis meeting on the health situation in Kumasi Academy (KUMACA) after another student died this morning.

The Minister is expected to meet with health officials and education authorities to explore ways to prevent more deaths in the school.

The death of a female student Tuesday brings to four the total number of deaths recorded in KUMACA since March.

She reportedly had increased body temperature but she died after she was rushed to a hospital.

There were reports meningitis was the cause of the deaths, but autopsy reports released on two of the bodies did not support that claim.

Nhyira FM’s Ohemeng Tawiah reported the examination conducted by a senior pathologist in Kumasi was not able to establish the cause of death, which further heightened the concerns of school authorities.

Already, parents and guardians have thronged the school to withdraw their wards.

But the Asokore Mampong Municipal Chief Executive has said any parent who would want to take the ward will be required to sign a form before that will be done.

The situation has triggered concerns in Parliament, with lawmakers asking for Health Minister, Kwaku Agyeman Manu to be summoned over the matter.

Asawase Member of Parliament, Muntaka Mubarak Mohammed said he has been inundated with calls over the health situation in the school.

“Fear and panic by students, by parents and school authorities,” he told his colleagues in parliament, expressing worry that the release of students to their parents will jeopardize public safety.

But the Health Minister who appeared before Parliament, later Tuesday has pleaded for more time to ascertain the cause of deaths in the school.

“As I speak the heads of public health are all in Kumasi… I will need a little bit of time to get the report,” he said, adding samples taken after the postmortem have been sent to the Noguchi Memorial Institute in Accra for further examination.

He said because of the delicate nature of the situation, it will be a “bit naïve” on his part to give timelines.