You are here: HomeWallOpinionsArticles2017 05 30Article 542621

General News of Tuesday, 30 May 2017


Family of murdered Army Captain grief-stricken

The family of the late Captain Maxwell Mahama with the 5th Infantry Battalion (5BN) at Burma Camp in Accra is grief-stricken over his sudden death.

News of his death is reported to have sent his wife into coma while close relations remain inconsolable following the unfortunate incident that occurred at Diaso close to Denkyira-Boase in the Upper Denkyira West District of the Central regionon Monday May 29, 2017.

At his apartment at Burma Camp on Tuesday, colleagues were spotted shedding uncontrollable tears over his sudden demise in the heat of calls by his kinsmen in Bole in the Northern Region for justice to be delivered through the arrest of the suspects.

Close associates of the deceased described him as a perfect gentleman who discharged his duties professionally as a leader and was not bossy towards subordinates.

According to the Minister of Defense, Captain Maxwell Mahama, who was leader of the platoon detailed to a mining company at Denkyira-Obuasi, was about to be promoted to a ‘Major’ after he successfully sat his examinations a few weeks ago before the unfortunate incident.

The Defense Ministry has expressed its condolences to the bereaved family and promised that full-scale investigations will be conducted into the incident.

Captain Maxwell Mahama who is commander of a military detachment in the area according to his subordinates, on Monday dawn was seen jogging along the main road and as he stopped by to ask some women for directions, they saw the pistol on him.

According to them, he was not dressed in military uniform and because of recent spate of armed robbery in the town after residents were attacked a day earlier, the women called the Assembly man who organized the youth of the town to lynch him.

Several pleas by the security officer to the effect that he was not a criminal yielded no result as the angry residents kept hitting him life threatening object including cement blocks until he died.

The body has since been deposited at the Dunkwa Government Hospital pending autopsy.

Meanwhile, security has been stepped up in the area.