Crime & Punishment of Saturday, 28 June 2014


Accused persons serve remand in court

Two out of five accused persons who were arrested on a bench warrant for conspiracy and causing unlawful damage served their day’s remand in the Odumase-Krobo Circuit Court room.

Michael Tetteh Lartey, 71, and Robet Teye, 57, were detained in the court room until the court proceedings were over, thereby serving their remand.

They are to appear again in court on June 24, 2014, for further hearing.

Bench warrant issued against Karim Tetteh, an accomplice, was still in force and the court has directed the police to intensify the search for him.

The prosecutor, ASP Richmond Akwasi Yeboah, told the court, presided over by Mr Asmah Akwasi Aseidu, that the complainant in the case, Isaac Tamatey, was a teacher and native of Asutsuare while the accused persons, Michael Kweku Kwao, 65, a Transport Manager, Lartey, unemployed, Teye, 57, farmer, John Kwaku Dzoto, 50, welder, and Karim Tetteh, 32 years, farmer, were also residents of Asutsuare.

He told the court that Tamatey and two others agreed to a joint venture to open a supermarket.

The prosecutor said Tamatey consulted the Akpetsonya family for a piece of land situated at the Asutsuare lorry park, which he was granted.

He continued that on February 4, 2013, the land was prepared and two courses of blocks were laid to mount the container for the project.

He said three days later, Tamatey visited the site and found the walls raised and the container destroyed.

According to the prosecutor, Tamatey again engaged the services of a mason and the blocks were mounted.

ASP Yeboah said in the early hours of February 8, 2013, final arrangements were made and the container was sent to the site. However, two days later, at about 9:15 a.m., the accused persons went to the site and destroyed the container and the blocks laid valued at GH¢2,200.00.

The prosecutor said two witnesses in the case who saw the five accused persons destroying the container confronted them (accused) at the scene.

The case was therefore reported to the police leading to their arrest.