Crime & Punishment of Saturday, 5 April 2014


Suspected motorbike snatcher lynched

A 25-year-old suspected motorbike snatcher has been lynched around the Residency junction in Bolgatanga in the Upper East Region by unknown persons.

A statement signed by the Upper East Regional Public Relations Officer of the Ghana Police Service, Assistant Superintendent of Police, (ASP) Thomas Yaw Agbanyo, said the police had information about the lynching last Wednesday, April 2, 2014 and accordingly went to convey the corpse to the Bolgatanga Regional morgue for autopsy and possible identification.

ASP Agbanyo said the case was being investigated and appealed to the general public to provide any vital information that would lead to the arrest of the perpetrators of the act.

The Regional Police Commander, Assistant Commissioner of Police (ACP), Mr Simon Afeku, has expressed his displeasure about people taking the law into their own hands and meting out instant justice to alleged criminals.

It bemoaned the alarming rate of unnatural deaths occurring in the region of late and cautioned parents to sensitise their children not to indulge in any behaviour that might land them in trouble.

At Wiaga, a village near Sandema, a young man believed to be aged 30 got drowned in a dam at Yamoasa.

The man was said to have left home on March 30, 2014 to fish in the dam but he drowned.

A post-mortem examination was conducted on the corpse at the Sandema Government hospital and the body released to the relatives for burial," the statement said.

In a related development, the release said one Aladuko Akotua died when he was chased and shot while he was in the company of others by some Fulani herdsmen at Gaboliga, near Binaba in the Bawku West District in the Upper East Region.

It said on the March 27, 2014, three young men, Azuma, Aloko, and Akotua allegedly entered the Fulani settlement in Gaboliga ostensibly on a hunting expedition, but the Fulani men chased them with guns and they had to flee on a motorbike.

Aladuko Akotua was said to have collapsed on the way and the others rushed home to call other family members who came to convey the victim to the hospital but he died on the way.

The body has since been deposited at the Zebilla Hospital morgue for autopsy while investigations continue to ensure the arrest of the Fulani herdsmen.