You are here: HomeNewsCrime & Punishment2018 01 30Article 622036

General News of Tuesday, 30 January 2018

Source: citifmonline.com

Police hunt for four more Kwabenya crime suspects

The Police administration has said that it is still on a manhunt for more persons involved in the crime committed at the Kwabenya District Headquarters Police station last week.

It said it has so far arrested 12 suspects including those who escaped lawful custody.

The Director-General of Police Public Affairs, ACP David Eklu, in a Citi News interview said the arrested suspects include 3 who escaped custody, while the others are suspected to have aided the crime, including one strongly suspected to have shot the police officer on duty, Inspector Emmanuel Ashilevi. “We have 12 suspects who have been arrested. Out of the 12, three were those who escaped from custody. The other suspects aided and abetted the crime. We have one who we strongly believe shot and killed the inspector. We are currently looking for four of them who are still at large,” he said.

ACP Eklu said all the suspects may appear before the court on Wednesday.

What happened?

A group of criminals on the dawn of Sunday, 21st January 2018, launched an attack on the Kwabenya District Headquarters Police Station in Accra.

The attack resulted in the death of a police officer on duty who was shot by the assailants.

The criminals also freed some suspects who were in lawful custody.

The police subsequently released the photos of the seven fugitives, and announced a GHc15,000 bounty for any information leading to their arrest.

The Police hierarchy say it will engrave the name of the slain police officer, Inspector Emmanuel Ashilevi in gold on its cenotaph at the Police Training School to honour his memory.

The Inspector General of Police, David Asante Apeatu, who spoke at the one-week observation of the late inspector said the administration will soon present a package to the bereaved family.

Meanwhile, the family of the deceased police officer wants the state to honour him with a state funeral.

The spokesperson for the family, Robert Normesinu Ashilevi, who made the request at the one-week observation ceremony, said the tragic manner in which their breadwinner died necessitates such an honour.