You are here: HomeNewsCrime & Punishment2019 12 10Article 810778

General News of Tuesday, 10 December 2019

Source: ghanaiantimes.com.gh

Police grab 1 more suspect in connection with Mankessim shooting incident


Click to read all about coronavirus →

The Central Regional Police Command has arrested one more suspect in connection with the shooting incident at Mankessim in the Central Region, which resulted in the death of two people.

It brings to six the number of suspects currently in police custody over the incident.

The dead included the Mfantsiman Municipal Director of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), Samuel Ampofo, and one other person.

The tragic incident occurred during the outdooring of Nana Araba Otua II as the Paramount Queenmother of the Mankessim Traditional Area in the Mfantsiman Municipality of the Central Region.

The outdooring of the Paramount Queenmother followed a Cape Coast High Court ruling directing the deletion of Nana Ama Amissah and Oseadeayo Amanfo Edu VI as queen mother and paramount chief of Mankessim respectively from the register of the National House of Chiefs.

Last Saturday’s event witnessed the firing of gun at Anafo junction in Mankessim, a few metres from the palace, during the carrying of the new queenmother in a palanquin and procession through designated areas in the town.

A number of people claimed that the gun was shot from a nearby storey building during the procession.

The confusion that erupted after the gunshot resulted in the new Paramount Queenmother and her entourage suspending the procession for about two hours.

They reconvened and continued the whole process which saw them moving to the designated locations in the Mankessim township without any incident.

The Central Regional Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Irene Oppong, said that the six suspects were assisting the police in its investigations.

She said that Detective Inspector William Nyarko of the Mankessim Command, who was referred to the Cape Coast Teaching Hospital on Saturday evening following the incident, had been discharged.

DSP Oppong, however, said that one of the injured, who was receiving treatment at the Mercy Women Clinic at Mankessim, had been referred to the Cape Coast Teaching Hospital.

The rest except one victim who were receiving treatment at the Mercy Women Clinic, she said had been discharged.

The deceased, she said, had been deposited at the Saltpond Hospital mortuary.

Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter