You are here: HomeSportsBoxing2019 09 09Article 779669

Boxing News of Monday, 9 September 2019

Source: Graphic.com.gh

Duke Micah upbeat of world title

Bantamweight boxer, Duke Micah, is upbeat about clinching a world title as soon as he continue his undefeated streak with a second round stoppage of Mexican Luis Roy Suarez in Minneapolis, Minnesota in the United States recently. The Ghanaian, who is based in the United States, was staging his first fight as one of the undercards of Fox TV’s Premier Boxing Champions(PBC) label.

The win lifts the 28-year-old native of James Town in Accra up to 23 undefeated bouts with 19 knockouts. Micah has been absent from the ring for 14 months and his trainer, Andre Rozier, recently told boxing website, BoxingScene.com that his boxer would fight for a world title in 12 months time.

“He did many of the things that we have been working on for some time now; but more impressive than that was his attitude and his fire to win was priceless”, his coach said.

Micah, who had been out of the ring since a 10-round decision win over Thomas Snow last June, was battling his second straight distance fight in as many ring appearances in the United States.

The boxer, who trains in Brooklyn, New York, knew that a statement making performance was required for his first bout since joining the PBC circuit. His two co-managers, Michael Amoo-Bediako and Keith Connolly, have reposed great confidence in the Ghanaian boxer.

“Duke looked sensational in his PBC debut this weekend,” noted Keith Connolly. The plan is for him to get another fight before the end of 2019 then 2020 will be a year where he looks to stay active and he should be fighting for a world title, around 12 months from now."

“Micah has the Olympic pedigree to compete with anyone in the world between 115-118 pounds," insists Connolly. "I look for him to be one of the few stars to emerge from the lower weight classes in the years to come, he concluded.”