You are here: HomeSports2010 07 10Article 185855

Soccer News of Saturday, 10 July 2010

Source: GNA

Germany beat Uruguay to win bronze

Accra, July 10, GNA - Uruguay on Saturday lost their second consecutive match after cheating Ghana at the quarterfinals of the FIFA 2010 World Cup Tournament when Germany beat them 3-2 at the Nelson Madela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth.

Germany's wining goal came on the 82nd minute when Ozil's corner kick from the right hit Lugano of Uruguay and got to Khedira for him to head it home.

It was the fourth bronze medal Germany has won and the third time Uruguay had lost at that stage of the competition.

Uruguay was awarded a free-kick at the edge of the penalty box of Germany in the 93rd minute but Forlan hit the crossbar and immediately thereafter the Referee brought proceeding to an end.

Germany went into the match at half-strength as Coach Joachim Low had to drop top scorer Miloslav Klose; Captain Lahm; Podolski and Goalkeeper Manuel Neuer. Klose has been suffering from a back problem since the 0-1 semi-final defeat by Spain and was replaced by Cacau.

Marcel Jansen replaced Podolski and Bayern Munich Goalkeeper Hans Jorg Butt took Neuer's spot between the posts, with Lahm's place going to Dennis Aogo and Bastian Schweinsteiger was handed the Captain's armband.

Luis Suarez, the Cheat, suspended for the quarterfinal match against The Netherlands, which Uruguay lost, returned to join the attack alongside Forlan.

It was Uruguay that kicked-off and Germany conceded three free kicks in a roll - Aogo challenged Perez and was booked by the Referee on the fourth minute. Friedrich was penalized on the fifth minute Cacau was yellow carded on the seventh minute for handling the ball.

On the 10th minute Friedrich's header from Ozil's corner rebounded off the crossbar and fell on to the path of Muller, whose goal-bound shot hit the back of Caceres (Uru).

Ozil's shot on the 13th minute was also blocked.

On the 19th minute Muslera failed to make a first-time safe of Schweinsteiger's pile-driver and the ball fell on to the path of Muller, who slotted it home for the first goal.

Cavani fetched the equaliser on the 28th minute when Perez took the ball from Schweinsteiger in the midfield and played it to Suarez, who latched it on to Cavani to slot it home.

From then on the match developed into a ding-dong affair. Both sides had corner kicks which created half chances but none could find the net until the Referee brought the first half to an end.

The second half started with both sides making frantic effort to take the lead. Butt was called upon to pull off a save to Suarez shot on the 48th minute. Forlan fired Uruguay ahead on the 51st minute when his volley hit the ground to deceive Butt and hit the net.

Jansen brought Germany on level terms when he received a telegraphic cross from Boateng and headed it home on the 56th minute.

Butt was called upon to save a well-taken shot from Forlan on the 65th minute. Kiebling came on to replace Cacau on the 73rd minute and on the 76th minute he called upon Muslera to pull off a save.

Uruguay also brought on Gargano for Perez on the 77th minute. Kroos came on to replace Jasnen on 81st minute and on the 82nd minute Khedira headed home the match winner.

Uruguay brought on Abreu to replace Cavani on the 88th minute while Germany replaced Ozil with Taski during added time.

Line Up:

Germany: Butt; Jansen/Kroos; Friedrich; Aogo; Khedira; Schweinsteiger; Ozil/Taski; Muller; Mertesacker; Cacau/ Kiebling; Boateng.

Uruguay: Muslera; Lugano; Godin; Fucile; Cavani/Abreu; Suarez; Forlan; Perez/ Gargano; Pereira; Arevalo Rios; Carceres.

Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter