You are here: HomeNews2014 03 12Article 303162

General News of Wednesday, 12 March 2014


Police deploy specially trained men to Tamale

In the wake of the recent disturbances in Tamale, three platoons of specially trained public order management personnel of the Formed Police Unit have been air-lifted to Tamale by the Ghana Airforce to maintain law and order.

The elite unit is to re-inforce the strength of personnel already on the ground to maintain the calm currently prevailing in Tamale and its environs, and to prevent the recurrence of the disturbances.

Meanwhile the situation has been brought under control, with Police patrolling the whole municipality to protect lives and property.

A release issued by Director-General of Public Affairs, DCOP Rev. David Nenyi Ampah-Bennin, entreats the people of Tamale and its environs to remain calm, and not to take the law into their own hands, and resort to the law in seeking redress.

The release warned: "Any breach of the peace will be dealt with swiftly by the Police and the other security agencies".

Meanwhile, three people arrested in connection with yesterday’s arson attack that left a local radio station and several vehicles completely burnt, have been granted police enquiry bail.

Northern regional Police PRO, ASP Ebenezer Tetteh in an interview confirmed the development to Joy News on Wednesday, indicating that the decision is to enable the police continue with investigations.

According to him, the police have identified all the trouble spots in the region and are putting in measures to keep peace within the towns.

Radio Justices’ Martina Bugri reports that there is relative calm in the Tamale township and residents are going about their normal businesses.

The youth from Lamashegu in Tamale besieged the radio station demanding that a New Patriotic Party (NPP) representative on the morning show discussion be produced but officials of the station refused and called the police to intervene.

Before the police arrived an hour after they were called, the angry youth had set fire to about four vehicles and a number of motor bikes parked in the premises of the radio station.

The attack is believed to be a reprisal against Monday's lynching of a man believed to be a member of the governing Nantional Democratic Congress (NDC).

The Kandahar Boys, a Tamale-based youth group of the opposition NPP were accused of masterminding the lynching - an allegation members of the group vehemently denied.

Early Tuesday, some NDC went to Radio Justice to announce that members of the party were to assemble at the deceased's house to take the body of Mustapha Abdul Rashid for burial.

Some members of this group later besieged the radio station to cause chaos and to demand that the NPP representative on the show be produced.

Yesterday, Security chiefs in the region held an emergency meeting to devise measures to prevent the recurring violence in especially, Tamale, which has in the past week left two people dead.

Meanwhile, the Ghana Journalist Association (GJA) in the region has condemned the attack on the radio station.

GJA Regional Chairman, Caesar Abagale says the association will later in the day meet with the Regional Security Council (REGSEC) to find solutions to the incessant violence and also discuss security for the media.