General News of Thursday, 25 October 2012

Source: Daily Guide

Korle Bu doctors give out cocaine man

Ghana seems to be gradually becoming a hub for the trading of narcotic drug, with the latest being the bust of another Ghanaian, Kwaku Sarfo, in possession of 77 pallets of substances suspected to be cocaine.

This time around, it was not at Heathrow Airport in London but right here in Ghana where the suspect has been arrested and detained by the police.

The officers at the Korle Bu Police Station received a call from medical doctors at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital to attend to an emergency at the facility.

The officers arrived at the facility to witness a suspect who had been operated on to retrieve swallowed pellets of cocaine.

Directors of Narcotic Unit of Police Criminal Investigations Department, Superintendent Cuthbert Aapenguo, who confirmed the story to Daily Guide, said upon arrival, the police officers were ushered into one of the male wards at the surgical block of the hospital where 59-year-old Kwaku Sarfo lay.

Surgeons had then removed as many as 77 thumb-size pellets of the substances which were neatly wrapped in condom-like-rubbers.

The doctors were said to have called in the police because they were not sure of the substance. They therefore took an inventory of the drugs and took over the case.

Sources at the hospital said the suspect first went to a private clinic complaining of severe stomach pain but had to be rushed to Korle Bu upon realising that there was more to it than he had merely said since his condition was degenerating and there was a need for a surgical operation.

Upon reaching the hospital, Kwaku Sarfo was said to have been taken to the surgical/medical emergency ward but he had to be taken to the theatre for surgery after which the drugs were detected.

Though he was said to be in a critical condition yesterday, Superintendent Cuthbert said he was responding to treatment.

The police are yet to ascertain where the suspect took the drugs from and other details about him.

“We are continuing investigations to find out how he even got to the hospital... so when he is okay, then we will be able to get that information,” the police chief said.

He has since been placed under a 24-hour police guard at the hospital.