You are here: HomeNews2020 06 25Article 990061

Africa News of Thursday, 25 June 2020

Source: bbc.com

World's second largest Ebola outbreak over

As we've been reporting, the 23-month long Ebola outbreak in the north-east of the Democratic Republic of Congo is now over.

The World Health Organization's regional director for Africa, Dr Matshidiso Moeti, said that the declaration was made possible with the collaboration of different arms of the government and the community.

“This is a sign of hope that with solidarity and science epidemics can be controlled,” Dr Moeti told journalists in a virtual press conference.

This was the second largest Ebola epidemic in history following the one in West Africa in 2014 and the first in active conflict zone.

There were more than 420 attacks on health facilities by armed groups, which greatly hampered efforts to contain the spread of the disease.

Security threats and misinformation were the main reasons why containing the outbreak in the north-east took so long.

However, there’s also a new Ebola outbreak unfolding in Mbandaka, in the north-west of the country. This is the 11th outbreak in the country.

So far, 24 people been infected with Ebola in that region and 13 people have died.

A genetic analysis done on the strain of the virus circulating there was found to be different from the eastern strain.

Send your news stories to and via WhatsApp on +233 55 2699 625.

Join our Newsletter