You are here: HomeNews2019 09 13Article 780846

General News of Friday, 13 September 2019

Source: citinewsroom.com

Students, guardians frustrated over SHS placement woes

Guardians of some Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) graduates have been left in frustration over the placement of their wards in Senior High Schools.

Some have even had to travel long distances to sort out issues with the Computerized School Selection Placement System (CSSPS) and have been left stranded as the Complaints and Solution Center has failed to attend to them.

A student who travelled with his teacher from Assin Fosu in the Central Region to Accra revealed that he will not be able to fund his next trip to Accra if his problem isn’t resolved today.

His teacher, Joseph Korankyi spoke to Citi News on his behalf.

“I came with one of my students. He got Accra High. We came all the way from Assin Fosu and Accra High happens to be a day school so we would have accommodation problems. We spoke to a teacher and she told us to come here for a possible replacement. We came and unfortunately for us they are saying unless a student falls within aggregate 6 to 10 before they can attend to him or her. My student got aggregate 17, so we are still hanging around to see if there will be any chance for us,” he said.

Another of this incident is in the Ashanti Region, where hundreds of qualified candidates and guardians have also converged at the regional office of the Ghana Education Service (GES) at Amakom to rectify anomalies related to their school placement.

Some of them expressed worry, as several visits to the GES office have not yielded positive results.

One parent revealed that “My ward had aggregate 21 and she was not placed. I’ve been coming here and I don’t see them doing anything here. I’m even confused and I don’t even know where to go. They were even saying that those who attended government schools would be given a certain percentage. My daughter attended a government school. Now my daughter is in the room, crying.”

One student also shared her frustration with Citi News.

“I have gotten a school but when I got there, they said my picture was not there and my name hasn’t been registered. I was told to come here to verify whether they’ll give me a school or not. The man here said we should wait but as of now, we haven’t been called. That’s why were still here,” she said.

The Minister of Education Mathew Opoku Prempeh had earlier declared that 75 percent of students have been posted to various schools in the first round of postings.

He urged candidates who are facing challenges with the placement exercise to visit the nearest solution center to get their concerns addressed.

A total of ten of such centers have been set up throughout the country to address the concerns of people.

Deputy Director-General in charge of Quality and Access at the Ghana Education Service (GES), Kwabena Tandoh also called on affected candidates to exercise patience and go through the self-placement module system again to select a school of their choice.

Speaking on the Citi Breakfast Show on Friday, he said, “Everybody can have an opportunity to go to school and all we would ask from our parents and students is to just be patient, go through the system and look for a school, because you would find a school.”