You are here: HomeNews2018 04 05Article 640396

General News of Thursday, 5 April 2018


Police dismiss ritual murder claims in death of aeronautic engineer

Police in Akim Oda say preliminary investigations do not support claims of ritual murder in the case of an aeronautic engineer who was found in a ditch in Akroso.

The Municipal Police Commander, Superintendent Samuel Ntoso, told Joy News the body of the late Prince Kwabena Kumi is intact following reports some body parts of the deceased are missing.

According to him, they took the body to the Oda Government Hospital mortuary and examined it before moving it to the Police Hospital for postmortem.

“No body part was removed,” he stressed.

Investigations are still ongoing to unravel how a 34-year-old man was mysteriously killed on Good Friday at Akroso in the Eastern Region.

The aeronautic engineer, Prince Kwabena Kumi, was on his way to surprise his mother during the Easter holidays when the police in Akroso seized his vehicle. They alleged he was driving under the influence of alcohol.

Sister of the deceased, Abena Osei Debrah, told Joy News her brother was prevented three times from boarding a commercial vehicle to his destination by the police. His body was later found in a ditch.

In an interview with Joy News’ Maxwell Agbagba, Abena Debrah said she suspects foul play.

According to her, although they found “a lot of wounds [cuts] on the body” the family is waiting for a postmortem to proceed.

But the Police Commander said initial investigations proved that Mr Kumi was not in a state to drive as he was drunk and poses a danger to himself and other road users.

“The Akroso police decided to impound the car and assist in finding a vehicle for him since Asuboa is not far from Akroso.

“They got a vehicle which was bound for Oda and put him on board…there are reports that he got down at Asuboa and was walking toward his mother’s residence and we don’t know what happened after that,” he narrated.

Supt. Ntoso is convinced their investigations will reveal what happened between where he alighted and where the body was found.

Regarding why the police failed to detain the deceased since he was drunk, Mr Ntoso said the police made an effort by using their discretion but Mr Kumi refused to listen to them and insisted he will travel.

“It is not always the case that the police should arrest people and detain them,” he added.