You are here: HomeNews2012 01 24Article 228368

Business News of Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Source: citifmonline

NLA to prosecute 'stubborn' lottery companies

The National Lottery Authority has denied media reports that it has been directed by an Accra High Court not to continue prosecuting any business that engages in lottery.

According to media reports last week, a court ruling by Justice Ofori-Atta restrained the NLA from further prosecuting businesses that engaged in lottery.

According to the judge, any business said to have fallen short of the lottery act, should instead be impeached by the Attorney General because it constitutes a criminal offence.

The NLA last year secured an injunction to restrain mobile operator, Tigo from running its “Tigo House Promotion” since according to the authority it was illegal.

The NLA maintains that the court ruling has been misconstrued.

The legal counsel for NLA, Mr Kojo Graham said the court ruling did not necessarily give a free pass to companies to hold lottery promotions.

“The decision in itself does not in any way mean that the activity engaged in by Tigo was not a lottery.

"It does not also mean that doors are open for telecommunication companies to engage in lottery as well. It should also be made clear that the vis a vis civil and criminal prosecution, the option for criminal prosecution still persists until the appeal is heard in court,” he said.

He said the NLA regulatory authority still retained the power to deal with companies that engaged in lottery.