You are here: HomeNews2000 11 29Article 12248

General News of Wednesday, 29 November 2000

Source: Daily Graphic -Nehemia Owusu Achiaw

Murder suspect in police grip

A thirty-YEAR-OLD man, Derick George Mensah, who allegedly attacked and murdered a Lebanese businessman, Talal Bou Chedid, at his residence at Nima in Accra last Friday has been arrested by the police in Kumasi.

Mensah, former salesman of MBC Trading Company, owned by the deceased, was arrested at a hide-out at Bantama in Kumasi yesterday, following a tip-off to the police Buffalo Unit.

The police have retrieved from Mensah ?6,095, $1,904 and ?7,247,000 he allegedly took away from the company.

Briefing the press in Kumasi, Dr K. K. Manfo, Ashanti Regional Police Commander, said Mensah has admitted breaking into the residence of Mr Chedid at Nima through the back door at 10.30 p.m. on Friday November 24.

According to Dr Manfo, the suspect claims that he waited in a room for Chedid, who had gone out.

He said on his return, Mr Chedid was reportedly confronted Mensah as to why he used an unauthorised means to get into his room and Mensah allegedly told the deceased that he had come to the residence to settle scores with him following his (Mensah’s) retrenchment.

Mensah is also reported to have told the deceased that the benefit which was paid to him was unacceptable.

He said an argument ensued between Mensah and Chedid during which the deceased allegedly slapped the suspect.

Dr Manfo said Mensah told the police that he allegedly picked up a stick and hit the head of Mr Chedid several times until he collapsed and died.

According to Dr Manfo, Mensah managed to find the keys to the shop and went to the company’s premises at Tudu in Accra, where he allegedly took away various sums of money.

He said at the time of his arrest, Mensah claimed that he had spent ?900,000 out of the money.

He said the police would carry out preliminary investigations and refer the case to the Police at Nima, in Accra for further action.