You are here: HomeNews2016 03 01Article 420084

General News of Tuesday, 1 March 2016


JB Danquah’s ‘killer’ denied mental assessment bail

Lawyer for the man arrested in connection with the murder of late member of Abuakwa Member Parliament, Joseph Boakye-Danquah Adu, Augustine Obour has asked an Accra Magistrate Court to allow his client, 19-year-old Daniel Asiedu, to undergo mental assessment.

According to Augustine Obour, who appeared for the first time for the suspect after a short conference with Daniel Asiedu in court, his client needed to be referred to the psychiatric hospital for examination.

The lawyer did not give reasons for the request but said a report on the suspect’s mental health would help in the trial.

The lawyer’s request was dismissed by the court after Judge Steven Owusu briefly interacted with Daniel Asiedu.

The case was adjourned to March 14, 2016.

The charges

According the charge sheet seen by Citi News, the 19-year-old suspect was charged based on his own confession that he committed the gruesome act.

The Police averred that the suspect “intentionally” and “unlawfully” caused the death of the MP.

The charge sheet said: “For that you on 9th February, 2016 at about 1:00am at Shiashie, East Legon in the Greater Accra Magisterial District and within the jurisdiction of this court, did intentionally and unlawfully cause the death of Hon. Joseph Boakye Danquah Adu, MP for Abuakwa North in the Eastern Region.”

Investigations also indicate that Daniel Asiedu has confessed to committing the crime.

The stabbing

The MP was killed at his residence at Shiashi in Accra, where he lived with his family. Some neighbours of the late MP told Citi News they heard about a struggle between the MP and his attacker, which forced them out of their homes only to find out that he had been killed.

They claimed to have seen a ladder behind the late MP’s bedroom, which they suspect was used by the assailants to access his room where he was killed.

According to them, they saw a man run out of the house but he could not use the main entrance because they had then called in the police who were stationed at the gate waiting to enter.