You are here: HomeNews2019 02 11Article 722538

Sports News of Monday, 11 February 2019

Source: Graphic.com.gh

Injured Commey faces uncertain wait

International Boxing federation (IBF) lightweight champion, Richard Obitey Commey, faces an uneasy and uncertain wait for the determination by an expert this week on the treatment required for his hand injury, which has cost him an early defence of his crown and unification bout against WBA/ WBO titlist, Vasyl Lomachenko, on April 12.
Last week the after scans suggested the Ghanaian will need at least two weeks for recuperation.
An MRI scan conducted on Commey’s right hand injury, sustained in the early round of his world title fight with Russian Isa, revealed that he suffered a knuckle ligament injury and would need between six to eight weeks to recuperate fully, which means the April 12 unification bout with Ukrainian Lomachenko has been called off’.

However, Commey’s manager, Michael Amoo-Bediako, confirmed to the Graphic Sports at the weekend that the boxer fractured a knuckle as he dropped Chaniev three times in two rounds on his way to a second round TKO victory to claim the vacant IBF crown at the Ford Centre in Frisco, Texas on February 2.


He said the boxer would undergo further examination tomorrow for a full prognosis to determine the treatment required and how long he would be out of boxing.

"He is out for six weeks which means his proposed fight with Lomachenko is off at the moment. We will have to wait to see what happens in the next few weeks.

"Commey is expected to see the doctor again for further treatment on his injury but for now the fight with Lomachenko in April won't take place as expected," Mr Amoo-Bediako said from his London base.

The new IBF champion, in a chat with the Graphic Sports last Friday, noted that he was very relaxed and unperturbed by the injury as he revelled in his world championship victory and a slice of boxing history as the 10th Ghanaian to hold a world title at different times.

He joined an exclusive group of former world champions, comprising David "Poison" Kotei, Azumah Nelson, Ike Quartey, Nana

Yaw Konadu, Alfred Kotey, Joshua Clottey, Joseph Agbeko, Emmanuel “Gameboy” Tagoe and Isaac Dogboe.
With Commey unable to compete on April 12, the WBA stipulates that Lomachenko must fight Anthony Crolla (34-6-3, 13 knockouts) next. If the sides can’t come to an agreement, a purse bid will be ordered this week.

Lou DiBella, who promotes Commey, told The Ring last Friday that the Ghanian would have a more firm timeline after he visited a hand specialist in New York tomorrow.