You are here: HomeNews2017 10 26Article 594433

General News of Thursday, 26 October 2017


IGP directs Central Regional Police Command to probe defilement of 4-year-old

The Central Regional Police Commander has been directed to take over investigations into the case in which a four-year-old girl was defiled at Assin Adadientem in the Assin Fosu District.

A statement by the Police Public Affairs Directorate has directed the investigations to focus on “how to save a child” and “whether police procedures were duly followed.”

The Police Clinical Psychologist at the Domestic Violence and Victim Support Unit in Accra has also been assigned to assist with the process.

There is public outrage over the defilement of a four-year-old girl by a 17-year-old boy at Assin Adedientem.

The girl reportedly bled profusely for days before the parents were informed about the incident.

Gender activists and civil society groups have been demanding justice for the girl.

Social media has been awash with the hashtag #NoMoreSilence, with repeated calls on the Police Administration to prioritise the case.

Meanwhile, the Central Regional Police Commander has summoned Assin Fosu Divisional Police head, Chief Superintendent Henry Bacho over the matter.

COP Reverend David Nenyi Ampah-Bennin is expected to quiz the Divisional Police head about the non-arrest of the suspect behind the incident.

The two police heads have been in a meeting since Thursday morning, Joy News Central Regional Correspondent, Richard Kwadwo Nyarko has reported.

Meanwhile, a medical report into the alleged defilement of a 4-year old girl at Assin Adadientem in the Central Region has found, the hymen intact with no evidence of bleeding.

The parents of the girl who sent their daughter for medical examination had maintained little girl bled for three days.

A doctor' s examination at the St. Francis Xavier hospital at Assin Fosu found out that there were no lacerations indicative of forceful penetration. The vulva was however moist and looked inflamed. A screening for infection also turned out negative.

Dr. Bernard Brew who conducted the exams put the girl on anti-biotics and directed her parents to report to the police.