Politics of Monday, 31 October 2005
Some members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC)in the Anlo Constituency in the Volta Region, have stated that Mr Victor Gbeho has never ceased to be a member of the party in the constituency.
They said that contrary to claims by some executives in the constituency that Mr Gbeho was expelled from the party because he stood as an independent candidate,?the leadership of the party, even at the highest levels, had continued to use the services of Mr Gbeho even after the 2004 election?.
This was contained in a statement signed by 36 members in the constituency in reaction to a statement published in the October 24, 2005 edition of the Daily Graphic which was jointly signed by the constituency chairman, Mr Moses Asafo, and the Secretary, Mr Alex Attakpah after an emergency meeting at Atorko.
The statement signed by the two executives members opposed the intention of Mr Gbeho to contest the national chairmanship position of the party.
It described Mr Gbeho as a rebel who had denounced the NDC in 2000 and contested the parliamentary seat as an independent candidate,defeating the party?s candidate, and becoming the Member of Parliament(MP)for the constituency.
It said Mr Gbeho would not be in a position to contest in the NDC because he had not reapplied through the Anlo Constituency of the NDC to be considered for readmission into the party after standing as an independent candidate.
The 36 members contended that Mr Gbeho had never ceased to be a member of the NDC since he joined the party and also no disciplinary action had been instituted against him by the leadership of the party at any time.
It said even when Mr Gbeho stood as an independent candidate in the 2004 election,a move which constituted an infringement on the party?s constitution,the functional executive of the party considered the matter and granted general amnesty to all those who stood as independent candidates against the party, including Mr Gbeho.
It said Mr Gbeho satisfied the conditions set for the general amnesty,by writing a letter of remorse and also reapplying,a fact that could easily be checked with the Volta Regional office of the party.
The statement said the action by the two executives members undermined the recent efforts by the acting General Secretary of the party,Mr Bede Ziedeng,and other executive members of the party at uniting all in the constituency.
According to the statement,notwithstanding all the negative efforts to thwart the move by Mr Gbeho to become the chairman of the party,he would be given the necessary support to achieve his aim.
?He is a proud son and an achiever of the Volta Region who deserves our unflinching support rather than the practice of the destructive pull him down syndrome?,it added.
The statement said it had expected a discussion on the candidature of Mr Gbeho and a submission of consensus reached to the national headquarters.
The 36 members pledged their support for Mr Gbeho and urged all within the party to give him the opportunity to lead the party with his sterling qualities.