You are here: HomeNews2012 12 31Article 260864

General News of Monday, 31 December 2012


Fire outbreak at Kumasi Central Market

A fire outbreak at the Kumasi Central Market on Sunday night destroyed property worth thousands of Ghana cedis.

The cause of the fire which started at about 9pm was not immediately known.

It took the intervention of personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service to bring the inferno under control.

The extent of damage was not immediately known as the fire started at a time the market was closed for business.

The fire spread behind the popular ‘Edwom Aboronsan’ area, where wax print is sold.

Many traders upon hearing of the incident rushed to the scene to check on their goods.

But for the timely intervention of the firemen, the fire could have spread to other parts of the market.

It was a scene of sorrow , anguish and pain as scores of traders, mostly women, who had lost valuable items and goods running into several thousands of Ghana cedis to the raging fire screamed, sobbed or wept uncontrollably.