You are here: HomeNews2019 10 16Article 789865

General News of Wednesday, 16 October 2019


Family of killed Takoradi girls angry over key suspect’s absence from court

The hopes of the Takoradi kidnapped girls’ families to see the faces of all the three Nigerian suspects in court for the first time since the Police declared the kidnapped girls dead were dashed when information came in that the case had been adjourned to October 30, 2019.

The families who were at the Sekondi High Court on Wednesday to witness the defense by suspect Sam Udoetuk Wills and John Orji who were charged with six counts of “conspiracy to commit crime to wit kidnapping” and “kidnapping” on 31st July, and a possible appearance of the last suspect, Chika Innoidim John, demanded fast-tracking of the case to bring closure on who actually kidnapped the girls and where they are.

“First and foremost, we are very disappointed, the way they handled the kidnapping case. They adjourned the case to today, but we have been here since morning and nobody is saying anything. We just had information that the case had been adjourned. The whole situation is being dragged.”

According to the family of one of the murdered Takoradi Girls, the police, as well as other state institutions tasked to bring justice and closure to the matter, have been unfair to them with regards to how the matter is being handled.

A sister of one of the kidnapped girls, Rebecca Quayson appealed to the relevant authorities to come to their aid to ensure closure is brought to the matter.

“We are pleading that the case should be sent to a fast track court so we can see the end of it. In the first place, we are not happy with how the DNA issue was handled, we have petitioned the IGP but he has not done anything about it. They are not telling us anything. The way the case is being handled is not fair to Ghanaians and the families. We are very disappointed. We are pleading for the authorities to come to our aid. It is getting out of hand”

She added that the families of the murdered Takoradi girls have finally petitioned the IGP for the human remains of the 4 murdered Takoradi girls.

Rebecca Quayson, sister of the deceased Ruth Love Quayson, last week also disclosed to Citi News that liaison officers failed to offer useful information to the family since their appointment.

According to her, the liaison officers appointed to keep the families updated with investigations on the case never cooperated with them.

“Since the first day that they introduced the liaison officer to us, they have not done anything. They have refused to call family members. There is no information. It is like they are not giving us the respect that we need. They are treating us like animals,” she said.