General News of Monday, 25 September 2017
Former Minister of Health and member of Parliament for Nadowli/Kaleo constituency, Alban Bagbin has denied claims that he did wrong by procuring the 30 ambulances which turned out to be defective.
Speaking on the 30 ambulances procured under the Mahama administration for the National Ambulance Service which was declared 'useless', Alban Bagbin said the importation of 30 substandard ambulances estimated at $2.4 million was necessary.
Investigations into the deal which was signed with a company owned by the Special aide to Former National Security advisor, Joseph Nunoo Mensah revealed that 30 of the ambulances were not fit to carry out its purpose.
The 13-seater buses were procured in 2014 and refitted into ambulances.
The vehicles, valued at $2.4m, according to a technical report by Global automobile company Mercedes Benz, have 18 defects, making it 'useless.'
Speaking at an event organized in his honour on his 60 birthday and twenty-five years in politics, he said people are busily scheming to discredit him.
"What most people don’t know about the ambulance saga so far as I am concerned is that, even though there was the need to import those ambulances which was started during my tenure as health minister, I was not in the ministry as the health minister when the final agreement for the purchase of the ambulance was reached.", Mr Bagbin stated.
He added that some faceless persons are using the ambulance saga as a way to ruin his hard-won reputation as well as his political career as a presidential aspirant for the National Democratic Congress (NDC).