You are here: HomeNews2018 12 18Article 709903

General News of Tuesday, 18 December 2018

Source: citinewsroom.com

Court places injunction on NDC presidential primaries

A High Court in Accra has placed an injunction on the opposition National Democratic Congress’ (NDC) upcoming presidential primaries scheduled for January 26, 2018.

James Kabu Nartey and Abdallah Issah, took the legal action against the party.

Citi News gathers that the two went to court to challenge the rules and guidelines set for the presidential primaries.

They also made arguments against the party’s filing and nomination fees which generated a huge controversy, indicating in their suit that the guidelines violate the country’s 1992 constitution.

Some flagbearer hopefuls had been protesting the decision of the National Executive Committee’s to charge each aspirant GHS 420,000 as filing and nomination fee.

Their petition to the party’s Council of Elders on the matter forced the Council of Elders to cause the fee to be slashed by GHS 100,000, making it GHS 300,000 now.

The Council also pushed for the primaries to be held on January 26, instead of the initial January 19, 2019 date and pushed for December 4 nomination deadline to be extended to Saturday December 8, to allow for persons who could not pick forms more time to do so.

Before the intervention, five of the aspirants, namely, John Mahama, Prof. Joshua Alabi, Alban Bagbin, Slyvester Mensah and Stephen Atubiga picked their nomination forms for GHS 20,000 each.

So far, three hopefuls, Elikplim Agbemava, Stephen Atubiga and former Metropolitan Chief Executive of Kumasi, Mr Kojo Bonsu, have opted out of the race.

Mr Agbemava and Stephen Atubiga, in announcing their respective decisions, said they had decided to throw their weight behind the candidature of former president Mahama.

Mr Bonsu, on the other hand, in a statement, said the decision to opt out was as a result of “considerable deliberation and reflection”.