You are here: HomeNews2017 12 17Article 610453

Politics of Sunday, 17 December 2017

Source: citifmonline.com

‘Controversial’ NPP constitutional amendment proposals withdrawn

Three ‘controversial’ proposals submitted for amendment in the governing New Patriotic Party’s (NPP) constitution have been withdrawn.

This follows an appeal by president Akufo-Addo in an address at the party’s extraordinary delegates’ conference ongoing in the Ashanti Regional capital, Kumasi.

President Akufo-Addo while addressing the thousands of delegates gathered from various parts of the country and the party’s branches in other countries, said some of the proposed amendments “will be a disaster” if adopted. His remark caused the majority leader, Osei Kyei Mensah-Bonsu to withdraw two of the parliamentary group’s proposals.

The proposals are;

1. For Members of Parliament to appoint constituency executives and

2. For party members with dual citizenship to be disqualified from contesting for any party position

3. For the flagbearer of the party to be considered as the leader of the party

Disagreement over amendments

There had been some disagreements over some of the proposals after they were made through an 11-member committee, chaired by First Vice Chairman, F.F. Antoh.

The NPP-USA branch for instance kicked against the proposal to disqualify persons with dual citizenship from contesting any party position.

In a strong-worded statement, it accused some persons in the party of hijacking the constitutional review process.

Meanwhile, the acting National Chairman of the NPP, Freddie Blay, has called on delegates to ensure that they resolve any lingering issues they might have before they leave the Conference.

Mr Blay said the NPP can take a step closer to retaining power in the 2020 general elections if the Conference is conducted in a peaceful manner.