You are here: HomeNews2017 02 06Article 507280

Sports World News of Monday, 6 February 2017

Source: squakwa.com

Cameroon boss takes dig at Joel Matip & co. after shock AFCON 2017

Cameroon manager Hugo Broos believes players such as Joel Matip will regret not linking up with the squad for the Africa Cup of Nations, after their success on Sunday night.
Broos’ men defeated Egypt 2-1 in the final in Gabon on the weekend, after Mohamed Elneny’s opener was cancelled out by second-half goals from Nicolas Nkoulou and Vincent Aboubakar.

It marked a remarkable triumph for Broos’ side, who had so much bad publicity to deal with at the start of the tournament.
Eight players pulled out of the Cameroon squad, including Liverpool’s Matip and Allan Nyom of West Bromwich Albion.

“There was a lot of trouble before, players who wouldn’t come with us,” Broos said, as reported by Sky Sports.

“OK, it’s their decision. But maybe they are saying now to themselves, “S***! Why didn’t I go with them?”‘
“We came here and I think nobody thought we would go so far. We tried to get through the first round. We did it. So we said, ‘OK, let’s see what happens against Senegal’. We won the game again.
“Then you get a boost of confidence and from that time we believed that if we got a bit lucky we could win the final.”

Matip has reportedly retired from international duty, but a lack of communication between Liverpool, Fifa and Cameroon made it a particularly situation last month when the defender was forced to miss a series of games for his club.