You are here: HomeNews2014 10 13Article 330200

General News of Monday, 13 October 2014

Source: Myjoyonline.com

CPP urges govt to prosecute NSS suspects

The Convention People’s Party (CPP) has urged government to prosecute persons involved in the alleged GH¢7.9 million National Service Scheme financial scandal unearthed by the Bureau of National Investigations.

Mr Ernesto Yeboah, CPP Deputy Youth Organizer, said it was sad that the Scheme set up by the state to help inculcate diligence and moral values into young people, has been entangled with corrupt practices by those at the helm of affairs.

“We are happy that there has been an exposé of this very serious crime against the state and the people of Ghana.”

Mr Yeboah made the appeal at the weekend in an interview with the Ghana News Agency in Accra during the African Presidential Papers and Libraries Symposium and Youth Seminar held under the auspices of Open Society Initiative for West Africa.

The symposium was on the theme: “Reflections on African Leadership and Governance and the Way Forward.”

Mr Yeboah urged government to carry out similar probes in other public sector organizations in order to eliminate ghost names, which was the bane of the national treasury.

He said investigation alone was not enough, stating that “there have been so many investigative reports that have ended up only on the shelves”.

Citing the Maputo and the Ghana at 50 reports; he explained that no single person had been punished for any act of malfeasance even though the Ghana at 50 report stated that $1 million was used to buy cutlery sets and water pumps.

He said: “We must prosecute the suspects, stealing must stop in this country and the only way to deter others from doing so is to prosecute and punish the perpetrators of such heinous crime against the nation”.

The Deputy Youth Organizer also advised the government to carry out the court’s rulings by retrieving all state moneys from Woyome and Isofotone.

About two weeks ago, the Bureau of National Investigations exposed financial misappropriation to the tune of GH¢7.9 million at the National Service Scheme.

The discovery led to the suspension of the Executive Director of the Scheme, Alhaji Alhassan Imoro, and 22 other officials.